- 35 min
Submitted by Damaris Phillips
- 1 cup (170 g) grits (not instant)
- 4 cups (960 ml) vegetable stock
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons refined coconut oil
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 1 (10-ounce/280-g) package frozen collards, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) heavy cream
- 1 cup (245 g) ricotta
- 1 cup (115 g) grated aged Gouda cheese
- 2 large eggs, beaten
MAKE THE GRITS AHEAD OF TIME: Spray the inside of a slow cooker with cooking spray. Add the grits, stock, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Cover and cook on low until tender, 5 to 6 hours. Now that the grits are done, you can build the bake!
MAKE THE BAKED GRITS & GREENS: Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
Heat the coconut oil in a 10-inch (25-cm) cast-iron skillet. Add the shallots and sauté until tender, about 2 minutes. Add the collards and garlic. Sauté to cook off any excess water, about 2 to 4 minutes. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the grits and cream. Add the collard mixture, ricotta, and half of the Gouda. Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed. Add the eggs and pour back into the skillet. Top with the remaining Gouda and bake until the center is just set and the top is golden brown, about 35 minutes. Serve hot or warm.