- 2 (14-oz) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 1 graham cracker pie crust
- 8- to 12-oz frozen whipped topping
- 1⁄2 C Heath English toffee bits
- 3 half-pint (8-oz) canning jars with lids and rings
- Large Crockpot or other slow cooker
Open sweetened condensed milk and pour into three half-pint jars, dividing evenly.
Put on lids and rings.
Place jars in slow cooker and add water to just reach the bands of the jars.
Cook on low heat for 6-8 hours (for caramel sauce consistency) or 10 hours (for a consistency more like pudding).
Carefully, remove jars from the slow cooker with tongs, let cool until safe to handle.
Remove top and spoon caramel into pie crust.
Smooth top with a spoon and refrigerate until cold.
Before serving, spread with topping and Heath crumbles.
Pie can be kept refrigerated or frozen. Serves 8.
Smooth options for caramelized milk and whipped cream
1. You can find other ways to caramelize sweetened condensed milk in the oven, on the stove, or in a microwave at http://m.eaglebrand.com/idea-center/uses-for-sweetened-condensed-milk
2. To make homemade whipped cream, buy an 8-ounce carton of heavy or whipping cream in the supermarket dairy section. Pour it into a small, tall bowl and beat on high with a portable mixer until it increases in volume and thickens to hold peaks.
3. If desired, add 2 tablespoons powdered sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla to homemade whipped cream and beat well. Unsweetened cream is often preferable for sweet pies and cakes, because its cool freshness offsets the sweetness of the dessert.