Fruitcake (from 1950)
- 1 lb. sugar
- 3/4 pound butter
- 1 lb. flour
- 11 eggs
- 1 lb. pecans
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons each of cinnamon, cloves, allspice, nutmeg
- 3 teaspoons mace
- Soak the following overnight in whiskey or wine
- 3 lbs. candied cherries cut in half
- 3 lbs. candied pineapple cut in large pieces
- 1 lb. citron cut in fine strips
This recipe originally appeared in the December 1950 issue of Kentucky Electric Co-op News (which later became Kentucky Living).
Cream butter well in electric mixer and add sugar. Cream again. Add eggs one at a time without separating and beat well between each one. Add flour that has been mixed with spices, baking powder and nuts, and stir just enough to mix well. Lastly, add fruits and whiskey. Steam or bake in slow oven about 3 hours. Makes two large cakes.