Janice’s Venison Swiss Steak
- Serves 6-8.
- 2 lbs. shoulder, roast, or ham venison
- 2 large onions, cut into strips
- 3/4 cup dry red wine such as a Cabernet
- 1 large can tomato paste
- 1 (15-1/2 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Pinch of dried rosemary
- Pinch of thyme
- Hot sauce to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 1 Tablespoon Lawry’s seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon meat tenderizer
Cut venison into strips about 3 inches long and 3/4-inch thick, trimmed of any fat and tendons. Brown meat in olive oil on all sides.
Mix all ingredients in a slow cooker and heat on high for 2 hours. Reduce heat to low and continue cooking in slow cooker for an additional 8 hours.