Submitted by Damaris Phillips
- 11/2 cups (140 g) textured vegetable protein (TVP)
- 1 cup (240 ml) vegetable stock, heated
- 1 cup (195 g) cooked brown rice
- 1 (141/2-ounce/411-g) can fire- roasted diced tomatoes, drained
- 4 tablespoons (60 ml) olive oil
- 11/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 11/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup (13 g) chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 4 large red, orange, or yellow bell peppers, halved, tops removed, ribs and seeds removed
- 2 ounces (55 g) Fontina cheese, sliced
Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C).
In a large bowl, put 1 cup (95 g) of the dried TVP and the hot stock. Stir and let the mixture sit for 5 minutes to absorb the liquid. Add the remaining 1/2 cup (45 g) TVP, the rice, tomatoes, 3 tablespoons of the oil, 1 teaspoon of the salt, 1 teaspoon of the black pepper, the parsley, and the thyme and stir to combine all the ingredients.
Rub the bell peppers with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil inside and out and season the outside of the peppers with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Divide the filling among the peppers. Press and pack the mixture into the peppers so that all of the filling is used and it comes just to the top of the peppers. Place a few pieces of cheese on the top and place in an 8-inch (20-cm) square casserole dish. Bake until each pepper has softened but still holds its shape and the center is hot and the cheese is golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.