Search For:

Share This

Keyword Exclusive – Resources For Caregivers

Supplement to Money Matters “Caregiver financial planning”

Important Documents
You will be better able to help plan your parents’ financial future if you have access to these documents:

•Statements for all bank and brokerage accounts, including retirement and pension accounts and Social Security statements.

•Real estate deeds. Titles to anything else they own, such as cars, trailers, and boats.

•Mortgage papers for the house if they own, or the lease if they rent. Personal and insurance loan papers and credit card statements.

•Personal documents, such as birth and marriage certificates, Medicare and health insurance cards.

•Other insurance policies for car, homeowners/renters, or life.

•Wills, trusts, and durable powers of attorney.

•Federal and state income tax returns for at least the last three years.

Health & Financial Resources on the Web
There are many resources available to adults or their children concerning health-care facilities or to help arrange financial plans:

Eldercare Locator at (800) 677-1116 can provide local resources. Go to and click on “Consumers,” or at
go to the “Consumers” area and click on “Exploring Caregiver Issues.”

National Adult Services Association, (866) 890-7357,

National Council on the Aging, (800) 373-4906,

Kentucky Association of Homes and Services for the Aging, (502) 992-4380

Books: The Hard Questions for Adult Children and Their Aging Parents, by Susan Pivar, Gotham Books; and It Pays to Talk: How to Have the Essential Conversation with Your Family About Money and Investing, by Charles R. Schwab and Carrie Schwab-Pomerantz, Three Rivers.

—Web Resources Research by Barbara Betts

To read the Kentucky Living March 2005 Money Matters column that goes along with this supplement, click here: Caregiver financial planning

Don't Leave! Sign up for Kentucky Living updates ...

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.