Basic Dill Brine For Vegetables
Condiments, Dressings, Sauces
- Makes 2 quarts.
- 2 quart-size jars, with lids and rings, sterilized
- 6-7 cucumbers
- 10-12 small peppers, such as banana, jalapeno, red peppers
- 2 Tablespoons vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon whole mixed pickling spices
- 1/2 teaspoon whole mustard or celery seeds
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 small bunches fresh dill
- 1 qt. water
- 1/2 cup sea salt
Use any mix of vegetables for this basic brine recipe. Wash cucumbers and peppers and drain. Cut cucumbers into spears and thin slices, if desired. Pack cucumber shapes into one-quart jar and peppers in another. Add half the garlic, vinegar, pickling spices, mustard or celery seeds, bay leaves, and dill to each quart. Bring water and salt to a boil and pour over vegetables, filling each jar to within 1/2 inch of top. Seal at once. Let stand in refrigerator at least one week before using and use within 2 or 3 weeks.