- 15 min
Submitted by Barbara Day. M.S., R.D.
- 4 cups baby spinach, rinsed & dried
- 2 cups fresh blueberries, blackberries or strawberries (can use frozen thawed berries)
- ½ cup crumbled reduced-fat feta or goat cheese
- 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes, halved or 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup red onion, chopped
- 3 tbsp finely chopped walnuts or pecans
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar (or more to taste)
Here’s an easy-to-fix salad which has lots of nutrients & anti-oxidants. You can add grilled chicken or grilled salmon to make the salad a meal.
Per Serving: 149 calories, 5 grams protein, 5 grams of fat, 24 grams of CHO, 5 grams of fiber, 166 mg sodium.
Mix spinach, berries, cheese, cherry tomatoes, onion and nuts in a large bowl. Toss well to blend. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Serve in 4 salad bowls.
fresh or frozen blueberries, blackberries or strawberries
reduced-fat feta or goat cheese
cherry or grape tomato
chopped walnuts or pecans
Barbara Day, M.S., R.D., is a registered dietitian with a Master’s Degree in clinical nutrition. The former publisher of Kentuckiana HealthFitness Magazine, Kentuckiana Healthy Woman magazine and radio show host of Health News You Can Use, Barbara has over 44 years of experience in promoting healthy lifestyles to consumers. Barbara worked as Nutrition Consultant to the Navy SEALs (8 years) and the University of Louisville Athletic Department (10 years). Barbara currently writes a weekly nutrition column for the Southeast Outlook. Barbara is a runner, cyclist, hiker, a mother and grandmother to 13 grandchildren.