- 10 tart apples (any variety, cored and cut into chunks)
- 10 navel oranges (peeled and sectioned)
- 2 quarts fresh strawberries (capped and sliced in half)
- 10 bananas (just turning yellow)
- 3 cups chopped celery
- 4 or 5 heads iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 3 cups peeled and shredded carrots
- 5 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 to 3 cups broken pecan pieces
- 1-1/4 cups whipping cream
- 3 cups mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- Fruit Fresh or any type fruit preservative to keep apples and bananas from turning
Mix Fruit Fresh according to directions on package. Let apples stand appropriate amount of time in solution. Remove and drain.
Bananas should wait until the last minute.
Combine apples, oranges and strawberries in large container. Cover and chill.
Combine lettuce, carrots and celery. Cover and chill.
To serve, toss fruit with sliced bananas and set aside.
Transfer lettuce mixture to serving platter. Arrange fruit mixture evenly over vegetable mixture.
Add pecans and tomato halves.
Blend well mayonnaise, whipping cream, mustard and celery seed. Pour dressing over
salad mixture and gently toss to coat. Fat free mayo and 2% milk can be substituted.