- Serves 6.
- 1 lb. onions, sliced
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 (14-oz.) cans beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 6 slices French bread, toasted
- 2/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese
Cook and stir onions in vegetable oil in a covered large saucepan over medium heat for 20 minutes. Stir in beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, and black pepper; heat to a boil. Remove from heat.
Place bread on a baking sheet; sprinkle bread with cheese. Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat for about 1 minute or until cheese is melted and golden. Ladle soup into bowls and top with bread.