- Serves 6-8.
- 2-1/2 Tablespoons canola oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cubed
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/3 cup pearl barley, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes (canned work great)
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 pound medium-size button mushrooms, rinsed, trimmed, and sliced
- 3 Tablespoons fresh minced parsley or 1 Tablespoon dried
Heat 2 Tablespoons of oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season the meat generously with salt and pepper. Sear on all sides until well-browned. Set meat aside and wipe oil out of pan with a paper towel. Lower heat to medium and add 1/2 Tablespoon of oil to the same pan. Add carrot, onion, and celery, and sauté until tender. Return the meat to the pan with water and stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer very low, cover, and cook 1-1/2 hours until meat is tender. Add thyme, barley, and tomato, and continue simmering the soup, covered, for 45 minutes.
In a medium skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat, add mushrooms, and sauté until golden, about 10 minutes. Season mushrooms with salt and pepper to taste and add to the soup, simmering 15 minutes longer. Skim fat from the surface with a ladle. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste and serve in warm bowls.