- Serves 4.
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2-1/2–3 cups raw shrimp, tails removed, peeled and deveined, and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 cup sliced button mushrooms
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup dry sherry or white wine
- 1/2 cup clam juice or chicken broth
- 2 cups half-and-half, whole milk, or light cream
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots, cooked and drained
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- Dash paprika
- Dash Old Bay seasoning
- Dash freshly grated nutmeg
- Egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1 Tablespoon water)
Cook shrimp by sautéing in Tablespoon of butter in skillet for about 2 minutes until pink (do not overcook), and set aside. In large saucepan, add rest of butter and add mushrooms and onions. Cook until tender, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with flour; cook until flour is absorbed into the butter. Add sherry and clam juice or chicken broth; stir over low heat until mixture thickens. Remove mushroom mixture from heat. Stir in shrimp and cream, then hot cooked vegetables. Add paprika, nutmeg, and seasoning to taste. Spoon the shrimp mixture into a buttered 1-1/2-quart shallow baking dish. Set aside and let cool to room temperature.
Take puff pastry out and thaw for 20 minutes. Cut or roll out, if necessary, to fit over top of dish. Cut vents in the pastry, then fit over ramekins or baking dish. Brush with egg wash. Bake at 400° for 20 to 30 minutes or until pastry is puffed and nicely browned.