- 4 to 5 medium size sweet potatoes
- 8 Tbsp margarine
- 13 oz jar marshmallow crème
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 C sugar
- 1⁄2 C milk
- 1⁄2 C light brown sugar
- 2 C crushed Crispix cereal
Peel and cook sweet potatoes, drain liquid, and cut in chunks.
Mix 4 Tablespoons margarine and marshmallow crème over low heat until creamy.
In mixing bowl, beat sweet potatoes, marshmallow mixture, egg, sugar, and milk until smooth.
Transfer to baking dish.
Melt 4 Tablespoons margarine with brown sugar and spread over potatoes.
Crush cereal and sprinkle over the top. Bake 1 hour. Serves 8 or more.
Feel free to substitute any crispy cereal for the topping on the Sweet Potato Bake, including Rice Krispies (won’t need crushing), Rice or Corn Chex, Corn Flakes, Special K, etc.
• Sweet potatoes come in a variety of sizes, some as large as footballs (but they aren’t available in supermarkets). You’re aiming for about 3 quarts (12 cups) of mashed sweet potatoes.
• Southwest sweet potato bake: leave out the marshmallow crème and white sugar, add 1 teaspoon (freshly ground) black pepper, 1 teaspoon chili powder and ½ teaspoon cumin. The sweet topping and spicy filling make a delicious contrast.