Kentucky Living 2017 Photo Contest
All images must be submitted through our photo submission website page, including all required fields. Digital images sent via mail or email will not be accepted.
Submit one online form per entry with your uploaded digital image. Submitted photos to the contest should not contain watermarks, dates, logos, or other art. All entries must follow the rules below to be eligible. KAEC/Kentucky Living reserves the right to disqualify anyone if contest rules are not followed.
- No Purchase Necessary
- Eligibility: Contest is open to anyone age 18 or older in the Continental United States. Entries must be the original work of the photographer making the submission. Only amateur photographers may enter. Photoshopped and obvious altered images will be disqualified (acceptable standard optimization to submitted photos includes cropping and reasonable adjustments to color, contrast, exposure, or sharpening). If you include people in your photo submissions, you are responsible for obtaining the necessary releases from the individuals depicted, and must be able to provide copies of those releases to KAEC/Kentucky Living upon request.
- Who May Not Enter: Professional photographers may not enter the contest. Photos submitted but deemed to be taken by professional photographers will be disqualified; if you earn money from your photography, you are considered a professional. Employees or immediate family members of Kentucky Living, Kentucky Association of Electric Cooperatives, Kentucky’s electric co-ops and their respective divisions, subsidiaries, advertising, and promotion agencies may not enter the contest.
- Location: Kentucky images only.
- Limit: One entry per category per person.
- Categories: This is Kentucky, Fun and Laughter, Cute Critters, Capture the Seasons, Art at Heart, and My Hero.
- File type/size accepted: JPEG digital image, the highest resolution possible, 300 pixels per inch (at 8.5 x 11 inches), minimum file size 500 k, maximum file size 8 mb.
- Submission Dates for Entries: Contest begins on Wednesday, March 1, 2017, at 1 a.m. Eastern Standard Time and ends on Thursday, March 31, 2017, 4 p.m. Eastern Daylight Saving Time
- Judging: Photos will be judged on visual appeal, human interest, and artistic merit as well as technical excellence, composition, and subject matter relevant to the category entered. Professional photographer judges will determine the winning photos, with each judging one category. There will be no ties. All judging decisions are final.
- Prizes: One Best of Show Prize winner receives $250 cash and A Taste of Kentucky gift basket valued at $75. Six category first-place winners receive $50 cash and A Taste of Kentucky gift basket valued at $75; six second-place category winners receive $25 cash; six third-place category winners receive $10 cash. Six People’s Choice Winners will receive A Taste of Kentucky gift basket valued at $75. Best in Show and Category Winners will be selected by our panel of professional judges and will be judged for visual appeal, human interest, and artistic merit.
- Best in Show and Category Winners will be announced in the July 2017 issue of Kentucky Living magazine. People’s Choice Winners will be announced online.
- People’s Choice Winners: People’s Choice is a separate social media contest decided by online reader votes. Winners will be determined by the most online votes in each of the six categories, and will be awarded per the following schedule:
- May 13-19: Voting for This is Kentucky; winner announced May 19
- May 20-26: Voting for Fun and Laughter; winner announced May 26
- May 27-June 2: Voting for Cute Critters; winner announced June 2
- June 3-9: Voting for Capture the Seasons; winner is announced June 9
- June 10-16: Voting for Art at Heart; winner announced June 16
- June 17-23: Voting for My Hero; winner announced June 23
- How Prizes will be Awarded: All prizes will be awarded no later than July 31, 2017. The Best of Show winner will be verified by phone, mail, or online method. Other prize winners will be notified by email or online. Prizes will only be shipped to an address in the United States. Odds of winning depend upon the number of entries; should a category receive less than 25 entries, KAEC/Kentucky Living reserves the right to not award winners and prizes in that category. Prizes are subject to change and may be subject to U.S. taxes; a Form 1099 will be issued the following year if the prize value equals or exceeds $600 in value and winners agree to complete the necessary IRS W-9 form prior to award of such prize. For a list of winners, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to Kentucky Living, 2017 Photo Contest, P.O. Box 32170, Louisville, KY 40232. Requests must be received by December 31, 2017.
- Other Conditions: In the event that the Photo Contest is impaired in any way (i.e., operation, security, or administration), KAEC/Kentucky Living may suspend the Photo Contest, resume the Photo Contest, or elect to award prizes from the eligible entries received at the time the contest was suspended.
- Questions: Inquiries about contest rules can be submitted online at Contact Us/Submissions.