- Serves 6.
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb. ground meat (beef and pork combined)
- 1/2 cup white wine or beef broth
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2-1/2 cups good quality store-bought spaghetti sauce such as Prego
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil or 2 teaspoons fresh
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Olive oil
- Dried breadcrumbs
Heat butter and oil over medium heat and add meat. Brown thoroughly, breaking up with a wooden spoon. Pour in wine or broth and continue cooking until it evaporates. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook pasta according to directions, taking care not to overcook. Drain and rinse pasta.
Preheat oven to 350°. Place pasta in large mixing bowl and toss with spaghetti sauce, 1/2 the cheese, and basil.
In the top of a double boiler whisk together egg yolks, flour, remaining cheese, and cream. Add salt and pepper to taste. Place top over bottom of double boiler filled halfway with simmering water. Cook, stirring constantly (so eggs do not curdle), to reduce and thicken the sauce. Add egg mixture and meat to pasta and mix well. Oil the bottom of a large, deep, oven-proof dish and coat it with breadcrumbs. Arrange pasta mixture in the dish and top with a thin layer of breadcrumbs. Bake, uncovered, for one hour until browned and slightly crisp on top. Serve from the baking dish.