- Serves 8.
- 1 lb. dried black beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 Serrano chilies, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 medium cucumber, diced
- 1 bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 2 Serrano chilies, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
Place beans in a large stockpot. Add enough water to cover beans. Add onions, garlic, and chilies. Turn heat to high and skim foam off top as beans heat up. When beans come to a boil, turn heat to low and simmer until tender, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Combine all remaining ingredients in a glass bowl and cover. Place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes for flavors to combine. Serve chili in bowls with a large spoonful of the salsa.