- Serves 6 as main dish, 12 as side dish.
- 12 oz bacon, cooked crispy (reserve 1/3 for top)
- 20 oz fresh or frozen cheese tortellini (tri-color is great)
- 1 C mayonnaise
- 1/3 C white sugar
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 heads fresh broccoli, stems removed, florets cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 C raisins or dried cranberries
- 1 C sunflower seeds
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- Ground pepper, to taste
Cook bacon until crisp; drain, crumble, and set aside. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook tortellini in boiling, salted water according to package directions, or for about 8 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water.
In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, sugar, and vinegar to make the dressing. In a large bowl, combine broccoli, tortellini, bacon (reserve a small amount for top), raisins or dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, and onion. Pour dressing over salad and toss; ground pepper to taste. Sprinkle top with reserved bacon right before serving. Serve at room temperature, or chill for an hour in the refrigerator.