- 1/2 lb spaghetti or vermicelli
- 4 Tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 lb sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 lb cooked chicken or turkey pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1/4 C all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- 2 C chicken broth
- 1/2 C cream
- 3/4 C freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 C unseasoned breadcrumbs
Heat oven to 350°. Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish (or similar size casserole dish). Boil water, add salt, and cook noodles until tender. Drain, rinse with cold water, and place in the greased casserole.
In a wide, heavy skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook on high heat until they’ve reduced in size and liquid is evaporated. Remove to bowl. Add chicken to mushrooms. Heat remaining oil; add flour, salt, and pepper. Stir to blend. Add chicken broth gradually, whisking to work out lumps. Stir in cream and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in cheese and chicken mixture.
Pour chicken mixture over noodles. Lift noodles to mix in chicken and sauce. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and more cheese, if desired. Bake 25 to 30 minutes.
Photo by: Angie Robinson