- Makes 12.
- 2-1/2 cups flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 Tablespoons margarine or butter, melted
Heat oven to 450°. In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With pastry blender or two knives, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. With fork, stir in buttermilk, cheese, and chives just until blended. Drop dough by heaping tablespoons 1 inch apart on ungreased large cookie sheet. Brush biscuits with melted margarine. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.