- Cookie Mix 1-1/2 all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 (10 oz) jars small maraschino cherries (about 48) or 24 large maraschino cherries, halved
- Frosting 1 (6 oz.) package semisweet chocolate pieces (not imitation)
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
Trish Hill of Campbellsville, Kentucky
Member of Taylor Co. RECC
1. In a large mixing bowl stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, soda, and salt. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl beat softened butter with an electric mixer for 30 seconds, add sugar, beat until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, beat well on medium speed. Gradually add flour mixture, beating on low speed until well-blended.
3. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place balls 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Press down center of each with your thumb.
4. Drain cherries and reserve the juice. Press a small cherry or half of a large cherry into the center of each ball of cookie dough.
5. For the frosting you will need a small heavy saucepan. Melt the chocolate pieces in the sweetened condensed milk over low heat, stirring often. Stir in 4 teaspoons of the reserved cherry juice. Spoon about 1 teaspoon of the frosting over each cherry spread to cover cherry. (Add more cherry juice to frosting to thin.)
6. Bake in preheated oven 350° 10 minutes
Servings: 45 cookies
HILL writes, “These are better than the chocolate covered cherry candy. The cookie is moist and delicious with a surprise cherry on top. One of our favorite family Christmas cookies.”