- Serves 4.
- 16 to 20 fresh asparagus spears
- 4 (6 oz.) salmon filets, skin on one side
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 lb. Bibb lettuce, torn into small pieces
- 1 cup arugula greens
- 1/2 cup good-quality green olives, pitted and halved (omit if on sodium-restrictive diet)
- 2 oranges, peeled, seeded, and sectioned
- 1 small red onion, sliced very thin in rounds
- Vinaigrette dressing, fat-free
Blanche trimmed asparagus spears in boiling, salted water for 30 seconds, then remove, drain, and set aside. Rub salmon filets with a couple Tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Put salmon filets on the hottest part of the grill, starting with skinless side down. Grill four to six minutes per side. Salmon is best when not overcooked, and can be tested for doneness off the grill when it springs back just slightly when pressed with your finger.
While salmon is grilling, combine remaining ingredients in a medium bowl and divide among four plates. Coat asparagus with remainder of olive oil, salt, and pepper. Grill asparagus lightly, turning spears over once after about three minutes and cook another three minutes. Remove salmon and asparagus from grill. Divide evenly among four salad plates, placing asparagus spears evenly around plate, then place salmon in center. Drizzle your favorite vinaigrette dressing over salad (balsamic vinegar dressing is a good match with salmon).