- Makes 3 dozen
Submitted by Mona Pence
- 4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons pure baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups molasses
- 1/2 cup lard or shortening, melted
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1/3 cup boiling water
Sift together flour, baking soda, spices, and salt. Combine molasses, lard, butter, and water in large bowl. Add dry ingredients to liquid and blend well. Cover and chill several hours or overnight. Turn onto well-floured board. Using floured rolling pin, roll to 1/4″ thickness. Cut with 3-1/2″ floured cookie cutter.
Sprinkle with sugar and place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake in 375° oven 12 minutes. Cool on racks.
RECIPE HISTORY: This is from my 575-page Great American Collector’s Edition Cook Book.