- Serves 8-10.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped with tops
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 oz. fresh mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 1 (5-3/4 oz.) can pitted black olives, sliced
- 1 pound thinly sliced and chopped ham
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 3/4 pound bacon, microwaved until crisp, drained and chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 lb. fettuccine noodles
- White Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 stick butter
- 3-1/2 Tablespoons plain flour
- 1 quart half-and-half milk
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 1 Tablespoon freshly chopped parsely
Melt olive oil and butter in large pot over medium heat. Add green onions and 1/2 of the dry white wine. Add cracked black pepper and saute until onions are tender and translucent. Add garlic, mushrooms, and remaining 1/2 cup wine. Add olives and ham to mixture and adjust heat to very low simmer. Add dried parsley, thyme, and rosemary and continue to simmer for 1-1/2 hours. Adjust seasoning with more cracked black pepper and salt if necessary. Add bacon and set mixture aside.
Before beginning white sauce, heat a large pan of salted water to boiling. Add fettuccine noodles and cook according to package directions.
In heavy pan combine olive oil and butter. Heat until butter melts. Add flour and stir. Heat over medium heat until mixture boils. Slowly add half-and-half. Add pepper and salt to taste. Continue cooking over medium heat until mixture thickens. When sauce begins to boil, remove from heat and add all but 2 Tablespoons of cheese.
When fettuccine pasta is cooked and drained, combine all ingredients together and toss to mix. Top with remaining Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley.