- Serves 8.
- 1/2 cup regular pearl barley
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, about 4 ounces each
- 4 slices provolone cheese, cut in half
- 4 thin slices ham, cut in half
- 1 container (10 oz.) prepared Alfredo sauce
Place barley and water in medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 45 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed. Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in skillet. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in oregano, pepper, salts, and cooked barley. Cool slightly. Mix in 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and set aside. Place each chicken breast between two pieces of plastic wrap. Pound until very thin. Remove plastic. To assemble, place one slice each provolone cheese and ham on each pounded chicken piece. Spoon 1/4 cup barley mixture in center of ham. Bring sides of chicken up around filling, making a square package. Secure with toothpicks. Note: Chicken may not completely cover filling. Place chicken packages in a greased baking pan. Bake in 350° oven for 15 minutes. Remove toothpicks. Spoon Alfredo sauce over chicken and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and paprika. Bake 15 to 20 minutes longer.