- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 large baking potatoes, boiled, peeled, and mashed with 1/2 the butter 1/4 cup cottage cheese, puréed
- 2 oz. sharp cheddar, finely grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 25 wonton wrappers (keep under damp cloth to keep moist)
- Sour cream for garnish
- Vegetable oil
Sauté onions in remaining butter until soft and translucent. In bowl combine onions with potatoes, cottage cheese, cheddar, and salt and pepper. Take out a few wonton wrappers at a time and lay flat. Fill each with a teaspoonful of the potato filling. Fold over (if using squares form a triangle). Brush bottom edge with water and press firmly to seal. You may crimp the folded edge with a fork if desired. Fill remaining wontons and transfer to small cookie sheet covered with waxed paper. Freeze until firm and transfer to plastic freezer bags.
To fry wontons, sauté in a mixture of butter and oil until lightly browned, crisp, and the center is hot. Drain on paper towels and serve with sour cream. Serves 6 as an appetizer.