- Makes 12.
- 12 large shrimp, shelled and deveined, with tails on
- 1 egg
- 2-1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash of pepper
- 3 slices white sandwich bread, crusts removed, then quartered
- 1 slice cooked ham, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 hard-cooked egg yolk, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 green onion with top, finely chopped
- Vegetable oil for frying
Cut deep slit down back of each shrimp. Beat raw egg, cornstarch, salt, and pepper in large bowl until blended. Add shrimp and toss to coat well. Place one shrimp, cut side down, on each bread piece and press shrimp gently into bread. Brush small amount of egg mixture over each shrimp. Place one piece each of ham and egg yolk and 1/4 teaspoon onion on top of each shrimp. Press lightly. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat and add 3-4 bread pieces at a time. Cook until golden and gently turn, cooking 1-2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels.