- Serves 4-6.
- 2 cups red lentils
- 6 cups water
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Salt and black pepper, to taste Soup
- Additions 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 10-12 green chilies, cut into rings
- 2 large Idaho potatoes, grated on medium grater
- Vegetable oil 2-3 cups
- Vidalia onions, cut into 1-inch slivers
- 2 cups cubed bread, 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch cubes
- Salted butter 1 cup
- fresh cilantro
In advance: pour distilled vinegar into a bowl with the green chili rings and let sit for at least one hour prior to serving soup.
To prepare soup, wash red lentils in warm water, two to three times, to clean. Then fill large pot with 6 cups water. Cook lentils over medium heat until they lose their firmness and a soup-like base is formed. Add fresh chopped cilantro, salt, and pepper to soup, and then set soup aside.
Next, prepare the rest of the additions. Grate Idaho potatoes and deep fry to golden brown in hot oil. Place on paper towels to absorb excess oil, and then put into a bowl. Sauté onions in skillet with 1/3 cup vegetable oil until golden-dark brown and caramelized, then place in a bowl. Sauté cubed bread in a mixture of 1/4 cup oil and 1/4 cup butter until golden brown; place in a bowl. Roughly chop cilantro and place in a bowl.
To serve, place soup and additions on the table. Place a large ladle of soup into each soup bowl and then let guests add their desired additions.