- Serves 4-6.
- 5 cups fresh spinach
- 1 (8-oz.) can water chestnuts, drained
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 4 green onions
- 1 Tablespoon chopped garlic
- 5 cups chicken stock
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 Tablespoon fresh chives or 1 teaspoon dried chives
Wash spinach and tear into bite-sized pieces, unless using baby spinach. Slice green onions in 1/4-inch pieces at an angle, using both white and green parts. Slice water chestnuts into thin slices. In a medium saucepan, bring chicken stock to a gentle boil. Add spinach, water chestnuts, soy sauce, green onions, garlic, salt, and pepper, and simmer about three minutes. Stir in chives and ladle into bowls.