- 1 white cake mix
- 3-oz package strawberry Jell-O
- 1⁄2 C water
- 1 C oil
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 C frozen strawberries, thawed (if fresh, add a few extra)
- Icing 1 lb. powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 C softened butter
- 1⁄2 C frozen strawberries, thawed
Cake: Heat oven to 325°. Grease a 9- by 13-inch baking pan. Combine cake and Jell-O in a medium bowl. Add oil and water and beat briefly to mix. Add 1 egg at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in strawberries. When strawberries are broken up, pour batter into pan and bake for 40 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly pressed. Cool completely in pan.
Icing: Combine sugar and butter in deep bowl and beat to blend in butter. Add strawberries and keep beating until icing is smooth. Spread on fully cooled cake. Makes 12 to 16 servings.
• To freeze fresh strawberries, remove the stems and caps and discard. Rinse the fruit and drain well. Place berries in a single layer on towels to dry completely, then in a single layer on a cookie sheet and place in the freezer. Once frozen solid, pour the berries into freezer bags or containers.
• Easy strawberry cobbler: Combine 3 cups washed, cut up strawberries with ¾ cup sugar. In a bowl, mix 1 cup self-rising flour with 1 cup milk and ½ cup each melted butter and sugar. Spoon batter into 9- by 9-inch baking pan. Scatter berries on top. Bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes (batter will rise over berries).