- Pineapple Topping 1 fresh pineapple, peeled and cored
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
- 3⁄8 C local honey
- Chicken Marinade 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken tenders
- 1 C local honey
- 1⁄4 C sriracha sauce
- Sauce 3⁄4 C marinade
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1⁄2 C crumbled cooked bacon
- 1⁄4 C chopped chives
- 2 C hot rice
To make the topping: Slice pineapple into 1⁄4 inch rings and place the rings in a zipper-style plastic bag.
Stir the coconut oil with the honey and pour over pineapple.
Set aside for 30 minutes.
To make the chicken marinade:
Place chicken in a zipper-style plastic bag.
Mix honey with sriracha and set aside 3⁄4 cup.
Pour the remaining sauce over the chicken and marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.
To make the sauce:
Combine reserved honey/sriracha mixture with sesame seeds, bacon, and chives.
Grill the pineapple on high heat to get grill marks. Grill chicken on low or medium to cook through.
Serve over hot rice, layering the chicken, the sauce, then the pineapple on top. Serves 6.
• The color and flavor of honey differ depending on the bees’ source of nectar–early summer honey will taste different from autumn honey.
• Baking with honey as a substitute for sugar can be tricky. Sugar is considered a neutral flavor while honey has a distinctive flavor. Honey browns faster than sugar so you’ll want to reduce baking time and temperature and cook in shiny metal pans rather than dark ones.
• Honey is sweeter than sugar, so plan for that if you are substituting it for sugar.