- Serves 6.
Submitted by William watson
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 (14 1/2-oz) cans Mexican-style tomatoes, undrained
- 15-oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 15-oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 11-oz can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 C instant brown rice, uncooked
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 1/2 cups water
- Shredded low-fat cheddar cheese, optional
Add olive oil to a three-quart saucepan and sauté green pepper, onion, and garlic over medium heat for 5 minutes or until tender. Add tomatoes, kidney beans, pinto beans, corn, rice, chili powder, and water. Stir to mix, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. To serve, top with cheese if desired.