I have a huge Lord Baltimore hibiscus I need to move. Is it toxic to horses? My 32-year-old Arab will try to munch anything he can reach!
The Gardener’s Answer
Hello, Lisa: Lord Baltimore hibiscus, commonly known as Rose Mallow, produces dinner plate-size blooms that are crimson red in color. They are prolific bloomers and can reach upwards of 5 feet tall with their burgundy stems. Hibiscus moscheutos ‘Lord Baltimore’ belongs to the Malvaceae family. According to the ASPCA/Animal Poison Control Center, some members of this family are poisonous to horses. The only one that is listed is Hibiscus syriacus, commonly known as Rose-of-Sharon. It does not list any Hibiscus moscheutos species as toxic to horses. You should contact your veterinarian to be certain. If you do end up moving your perennial hibiscus make sure to move it to a sunny location. When transplanting, it is always best to dig the new hole before digging up the existing plant so that it is less stressful on the plant. Try to keep as much of the root system attached as possible and keep the hibiscus watered well for the first couple of months. You will want to treat it like a new addition to the garden.