Search For:

Share This

My Cat Likes To Eat My Dianthus Flowers–will It Make…

Cynthia Asked

My cat likes to eat my dianthus flowers–will it make her sick?

The Gardener’s Answer

Hi, Cynthia: I will start by saying that I am not a veterinarian, but as a gardener I can tell you that some plants or parts of plants are more dangerous than others when it comes to toxicity. Certain plants are more harmful than others depending on the animal in question. The list of toxic plants available from the Animal Poison Control Center and the ASPCA does list Dianthus caryophyllus as a plant that is toxic to cats. As far as the parts of a plant that are toxic, we know that the seed is as well as the foliage if consumed in large amounts. Animals have a good sense about them and usually stay away from plant material that could potentially be harmful to them, but just to be safe you should contact your veterinarian.

Have a question for the Gardener?

Share This

Ask the Gardener

  • Accepted file types: jpg, jpeg, png, gif.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Don't Leave! Sign up for Kentucky Living updates ...
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.