Submitted by HEATHER BILYEU
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halved
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 C all-purpose flour
- ⅓ C olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ lb mushrooms, sliced in half
- 2 (16 oz) cans whole tomatoes, undrained and quartered
- 4 oz jar pimientos, undrained
- ½ C vermouth
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 medium-sized green bell peppers, thinly sliced
- Hot cooked spaghetti
Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and dredge in flour, shaking off excess. Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat and add the chicken, sauteing for 4–5 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove chicken from Dutch oven; drain on paper towels.
Add onion and garlic to Dutch oven; saute over medium heat for 5 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and the next seven ingredients. Add chicken, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the green peppers and stir. Cook for an additional 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaves and serve over spaghetti. Serves 8.