- Serves 4 to 6.
- 1 lb. smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 (30-oz.) can dark-red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (16-oz.) can tomatoes, chopped with juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups hot cooked rice, brown or white
Cook sausage over low heat 6 to 8 minutes. Add onion, green pepper, and garlic; sauté until vegetables are tender. Add beans, tomatoes, oregano, and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve with cooked rice.