- Serves 4.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 Tablespoon fresh rosemary, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, cut into 1/4- inch thick slices
- 2 onions, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 4 large Kaiser rolls, split
- 1 bunch arugula, washed and patted dry
- 1/2 lb. fresh mozzarella, drained and thinly sliced
Preheat grill or broiler to medium heat. Combine olive oil with salt, freshly ground pepper, and rosemary. Brush the olive oil mixture over each tomato slice, onion slice, and half roll. Grill or broil the onion slices until they are tender and blackened. Briefly grill or broil the tomato slices until they are warm. Do not overcook. Grill or broil the rolls on one side until they are golden brown. Transfer all to a warm platter. Assemble the sandwiches by layering the arugula, tomatoes, onions, and mozzarella on the bottom half of the roll. Top with the second half of the bun. Cut in half and serve.