Manhattan Clam Chowder
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- I cup chopped celery
- 5 cups chicken stock
- I teaspoon thyme
- I bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- I can (2 lb., J oz.) peeled tomatoes, drained and chopped
- I cup chopped parsley
- 3 small potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 (IO oz.) cans whole baby clams, drained (minced or chopped clams may be substituted
Melt the butter in a large pot. Add onions and celery and cook over low heat, covered, until vegetables are tender and lightly colored, about 20 minutes. Add remaining ingredients except clams and simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Add drained clams and simmer for 5 minutes uncovered. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately. Serves 6 to 8.