Mexican Charro Beans
- Serves 6.
- 1 lb. dried pinto beans
- 6 strips bacon, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 medium fresh plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 (12-oz.) can of beer (or substitute water)
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
Rinse and pick over beans. Bring to a boil in a large pot of water and cook over medium heat 1-1/2 to 2 hours until tender but still firm. Before beans are done, fry bacon in a large skillet until halfway cooked. Add garlic, tomatoes, onions, and green pepper; continue cooking with bacon until crisp. Add a can of beer (or water) to bacon mixture and simmer a few additional minutes, or longer if you like your beans softer and less soupy. Add chopped cilantro and jalapenos; combine everything in one large pot. Add salt and pepper to taste.