- Serves 4.
- 3/4 cup Splenda brand sweetener
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2-1/2 cups low-fat milk (1%)
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 Tablespoons lemon or lime zest (or a mix of both)
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- Several very thin lemon or lime slices
- 3 egg whites
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
Whisk Splenda and cornstarch together in medium saucepan. Add milk and whisk until smooth. Add egg yolks, 3/4 of the zest, and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice and butter. Let cool to room temperature. Whip egg whites with sugar until stiff. Fold gently into pudding mixture. Chill at least two hours until set and thoroughly chilled. Serve in parfait glasses or bowls. Garnish with remaining zest and lemon or lime slices. If desired, dip rims of parfait glasses in beaten egg white and dip into sugar for a festive touch.