Submitted by Catherine McCord
- 2 fresh kale leaves, thick stems removed, chopped
- 1⁄4 C celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 Persian cucumber, unpeeled and chopped or 1⁄4 English cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄4 C pineapple chunks, frozen
- 1⁄4 lemon, with peel and pith, seeds removed
- 1⁄2 Gala, Fuji or other sweet apple, cored, seeded and cut into chunks*
- 1-inch fresh ginger, peeled
- 2 sprigs fresh mint leaves
- 1⁄2 C coconut water, water or herbal tea
Combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
*If you don’t have a high-powered blender, peel the apple.
Optional super boosts: Collagen peptides, probiotic powder, pink Himalayan salt, golden berries.
My in-laws visit us often, and whenever they’re here, without fail we eat at Le Pain Quotidien at least twice. We all have our favorites there, but everyone loves their Super Greens Smoothie. It’s served with a frothy foam on the top, and the second it’s set in front of me I take my straw and immediately suck it down. I fell so in love with that smoothie that I needed to figure out how to make it at home.
It took me some time to get the ratios just right, but eventually I think I nailed it. The secret ingredient is the fresh mint, which takes the taste to a whole new level, and the key to re-creating the foam and taste of the smoothie is leaving the peel on the lemon and apple.