- Serves 8.
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/3 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 cups hot water
- 1 Tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1-1/2 cups TVP soy (textured vegetable protein)
- 1/2 cup cooked garbanzo beans
- 1/2 cup ground sunflower seeds
- 2 Tablespoons plain nonfat yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 8 sesame seed hamburger buns, toasted
In medium skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; add onion, zucchini, mushrooms, parsley, and garlic. Sauté until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
Heat water in small saucepan over high heat. Remove saucepan from heat and add soy sauce. Add textured vegetable soy protein to bowl of a food processor, then add hot water mixture. Let it sit for about 10 minutes until the TVP is hydrated. Add garbanzo beans, sunflower seeds, yogurt, black pepper, cumin, cayenne pepper, egg whites, and breadcrumbs; blend until smooth. Scoop mixture into large mixing bowl and stir in sautéed vegetables, mixing well. Form into patties.
Grill over hot coals on grids that have been sprayed with canola oil. After burgers are done, toast buns on grill.