- Serves 6-8.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1⁄4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 C chopped green chilies (two 4-oz cans)
- 4 C reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 C cooked (two 15-oz cans) Great Northern beans
- 4 C diced, cooked chicken
- Grated Monterey Jack cheese for garnish (Kenny’s Farmhouse cheese is delicious)
- Salsa verde, for garnish
- Sour cream, for garnish
In a Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, cumin, oregano, and cloves, and cook for about 1 minute. Add the green chilies, chicken broth, and beans. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to simmer, and cook for about 20 minutes. Stir in the chicken and cook about 10 minutes more. Serve topped with cheese, salsa, and sour cream, if desired. Serves 6-8.