Beef (or Turkey) Fried Rice
Beef, Poultry, Vegetables
Submitted by Kelley Hammers
- 1 C jasmine or other white rice
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 lb ground beef or turkey
- 1 C grated carrots
- 1 C broccoli crowns, thinly sliced florets and small stems
- 1 bunch scallions, minced; green and white parts minced separately
- 2 stalks of lemongrass—tender pale inner core only, minced
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced 1 lime, juiced; more for garnish
- 1 C frozen green peas, thawed
- 1⁄2 C beef broth or chicken broth
- 1 C chopped cilantro and/or mint
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 2 Tbsp Asian fish sauce or soy sauce
- Lime wedges
- Chopped cilantro and/or mint
- Chopped green scallion tops
- Fish sauce
- Hot sauce, such as sriracha
Cook rice according to package directions and chill completely. To chill quickly, spread rice on a baking sheet and refrigerate until rice is dry. You can do this a few hours in advance.
Heat oil over medium heat in a 12-inch nonstick skillet. Add the meat and break up until crumbled, cooking until no longer pink.
Add carrots, broccoli, white part of scallions, lemongrass, ginger and garlic. Cook until almost tender, about 4 minutes, stirring often.
Add lime juice, peas and broth. Bring to a simmer. Add the herbs and cook 2 minutes.
Add the rice and sauce. Combine, stirring, until heated through. Fill four bowls and pass garnishes. Accompaniments include arugula salad, sliced cucumbers and/or fresh pineapple chunks.
Kelley likes Better Than Bouillon products to make small amounts of broth for cooking
To easily remove cold rice from a pan on which it has chilled, dip your hands or plastic spatula in cold water before scooping the rice. The water helps prevent the rice from sticking to your fingers.