Ketchup Gravy For Meatloaf
Condiments, Dressings, Sauces
- Makes 3 cups.
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil, divided in half
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 green onions, finely chopped (white part only)
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped fine
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
Heat half the olive oil in skillet until hot. Add flour and whisk until roux is cooked and mixture becomes a medium-brown color. Gradually stir in broth and whisk until hot. Heat remaining oil in another skillet over medium heat until hot. Add garlic, green onions, and green pepper. Sautï¿½ 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add tomato; reduce heat and simmer 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Combine with gravy mixture and remaining ingredients and simmer, stirring constantly, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve over meatloaf and mashed potatoes.