- Serves 6.
- 6 red bell peppers
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup polenta or coarse cornmeal
- 3-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 4 Tablespoons fresh basil (no substitutions)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (no substitutions)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup Fontina cheese
Preheat oven to 375°. Slice the tops off the peppers and remove seeds and ribs. Make the bottom of the peppers flat for standing by trimming off a small amount from the bottom, making sure you do not cut all the way through. Arrange in a shallow buttered baking dish.
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until onions are wilted, about 3 minutes. Add polenta or cornmeal and mix well. Slowly pour in chicken broth, stirring constantly to combine. Add cream, corn, basil, cilantro, salt, pepper, and 1/2 of the Romano or Parmesan cheese. Cook, stirring constantly, with a wooden spoon until polenta becomes very thick. This will take 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
Fill peppers with the mixture and sprinkle with remaining cheeses. Stand peppers upright. Bake 25 minutes until golden brown. Serve immediately.