Submitted by Southern Red's BBQ
- 3 lbs hamburger
- 1 1⁄2 C chopped garlic
- 1 pint green onions, white and green parts, sliced in thin diagonals
- 1⁄4 C chopped cilantro
- 1 C chili powder
- 1⁄4 C cumin
- 1⁄4 C salt
- 1⁄4 C black pepper
- 1⁄4 C dried parsley flakes
- No. 10 can tomatoes, diced, (approx 3 qts)
- No. 10 can Mexican chili beans, (approx 3 qts)
- 1 qt Southern Red’s Mild Sauce, or your favorite barbecue sauce
In a large stock pot, brown hamburger over medium heat. DO NOT DRAIN! Add garlic, onions, cilantro and spices, stirring until onions are just soft.
Add tomatoes and cook over medium heat for one hour. Stir in beans and barbecue sauce. Bring to a boil.
Turn to low and cook for one hour. To serve, top with optional shredded cheese, green onions or jalapenos. Makes 32 (8-oz) servings.
Note: Recipe can be cut in half or thirds for smaller portions.