- 1 Tablespoon corn oil
- Cooking spray
- 2 Tablespoons chopped pickled jalapeno pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 15-oz. can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 15-1 /2-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
Coat large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; add corn oil and place over medium heat.
Add pepper, garlic, and cumin.
Cook, uncovered, for 3 minutes, stirring periodically.
Remove from heat.
Add black-eyed peas, black beans, onions, parsley, and salt.
Toss to combine.
Place in serving dish, cover, and refrigerate 8 hours, or overnight, to allow flavors to blend.
Toss in tomato before serving.
Makes 7 (1/2-cup) servings.
Food exchange: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.