- Serves 6-8.
- 8 large ripe peaches, peeled and sliced
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- Sugar to sweeten peaches to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 1/4 teaspoon almond flavoring
Peel and slice peaches. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. In a large bowl, combine flour mixture with brown sugar. Cut in butter with pastry blender or two forks until crumbly. Stir in pecans. Beat egg slightly with milk and add all at once to flour mixture. Stir with fork until blended. Spread dough in two 9-inch-square cake pans to within 1/2 inch of top edge. Bake at 450° for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown. Sweeten peaches to taste with sugar. Flavor whipped cream with almond flavoring. Place one shortcake layer on serving plate and top with 1/2 of peaches and 1/2 of whipped cream. Repeat layering and serve immediately.