- Makes 3 cups.
- 1-1/2 pounds button mushrooms, wiped clean with a paper towel, not washed
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- 3/4 cup snipped chives
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 sprigs fresh tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup grated Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 6 egg whites
Preheat oven to 375°. Coarsely chop mushrooms and snip chives. Sauté in butter until softened. Add mustard, garlic, tarragon, salt, and pepper, and mix well. Add cheeses and place ingredients in food processor. Process to a puree, then slowly add egg whites one at a time while processor is running. Put mixture in well-oiled loaf pan and place into a larger pan to create a water bath with water in larger pan coming halfway up the sides. Cover both pans with sheet of foil. Bake for 1 hour or until tester inserted in center comes out clean. Unmold after cooling and serve with toast points.