- Serves 4.
- 1/2 cup warm water (105° to 115°)
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups barley flour
- 2 Tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 Tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup prepared solid-pack pumpkin
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
Combine water and 1 teaspoon of sugar in small bowl. Sprinkle yeast over water and let stand 5 minutes or until surface bubbles to show yeast is working. Combine flours, remaining sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt in large bowl and set aside. In small bowl, combine buttermilk, pumpkin, and butter. Stir liquid ingredients and yeast mixture into dry ingredients until well-blended. Cover batter and refrigerate overnight. To prepare waffles, heat waffle iron. Pour in 1/2 to 1 cup of batter, according to the size of the waffle iron. Bake until waffles are done.